Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Did He Go to the Prom?

photo credit frontrowreviews.com 



From my latest column on the Script Magazine website:

"I wrote in my last column about screenwriting’s dirtiest word – exposition.  In this one, I’d like to talk about another element of screenwriting that’s often confused with exposition and that’s backstory.

Remember what I wrote last time: exposition is information that the audience needs to know in order to fully understand and appreciate the film.  Part of the reason for the beginning screenwriter’s confusion regarding exposition and back story is that sometimes that necessary information is backstory.  Namely, whenever part of a character’s history is revealed, it’s exposition.  However, it’s important to note that not all of exposition is backstory..."

Read the rest here.

No comments:

Post a Comment